Sunday, May 8, 2011

Death

My sister died about 10 days ago.  One usually uses words  like "passed on" or "passed away" or some other less direct term; but, just the same, he life ended less than two months after her 65th birthday.  I was able to see her the day before the event and it was evident that the end was near; however, I opted not to go to the funeral.

My wife and I had just finished a road trip to two of our prior homes and, to say the least, we were fatigued.  I didn't think there was anything I could do for her because she was no longer here.  I had stayed in touch with her over the years, mostly by phone but we did visit occasionally.  She never visited us, whether by choice or by simple omission.  I certainly didn't hold it against her.  I believe we all have the right to make choices. 

I am now the only survivor from the family of my childhood.  Dad's been dead over thirty years and my Mother died in 2007, just before her 90th birthday.  Now sister Carolyn is gone.  The feeling is sort of sobering and I have spent a bit of time thinking about this since she died. 

My sister died as a result of multiple causes, not the least of which was many years sufffering from Krohn's disease.  The malady caused her to be perpetually short of hemoglobin and she spent a lot of time in hospital getting transfusions.  She also had complications regarding liver, pulmonary and other vital functions.  She became very ill at the end and her directives precluded extraordinary measures. 

At any rate, life can be capricious and short in some instances.  I learned many years past that, in all liklihood, any experience you miss in this life will be forever missed.  Do your own thing now and, if you haven't already done so, create a "bucket list."

No comments:

Post a Comment